The perfect treat for the first BBQ of the New Year. A delicious mussel recipe with a buttery cheese garlic and herb sauce.
- 1.5 kg fresh live mussels scrubbed and debearded
- 35 g butter melted
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh herbs chopped (we love parsley and chives for this mussels recipe)
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients, except the mussels, then set aside.
- Pre-heat the BBQ to a medium heat.
- Place the mussels on the grill tray of your BBQ, resting between the gaps.
- As they start to open (approximately 5 minutes) take the mussels off the BBQ and allow the mussels to cool slightly, then snap off the top shell, leaving the mussel still attached to the bottom shell.
- Place a teaspoonful of the cheesy garlic herb butter mixture on top of each mussel.
- Return the mussel half shells to the barbeque, ensuring they are level so the juices stay inside the shells. Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbly and sizzling.
- Remove from the BBQ and enjoy!
Like most seafood, mussels don't take very long to cook —especially on the BBQ —so keep an eye on them, you want the garlic sauce to still be moist.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!