Done with oats but love a good porridge? Try using brown rice instead for a gluten free alternative full of nutrients. We have paired apple and feijoa in this recipe with cinnamon and coconut milk for extra creaminess.
For the Porridge
- 1 cup brown rice washed (we love SunRice)
- 1 can coconut milk we love Chantal Organics
- Boiling water
- 3 apples 2 pealed, cored and cubed,1 sliced thinly to garnish (we love Jazz apples)
- 8 feijoas 4 skin removed and cubed, 4 sliced thinly to garnish
- 8 select dates roughly chopped (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tbsp honey
For the Pecans
- Pecans we love Alison’s Pantry
- 1 tsp honey
- A pinch of salt
- Bring the coconut milk, cinnamon quill and vanilla pod (slit lengthway with a sharp knife and scrape the seeds in as well as the pod) to a gentle simmer in a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the brown rice, cubed feijoa and apples, chopped dates, and simmer until brown rice is completely cooked through and you have a creamy texture - roughly 20-30 minutes. Add boiling water at any point to thin out consistency.
- In a fry pan over a high heat, toast the pecans in a little honey and salt until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once porridge is cooked, taste and add honey if necessary.
- Top with fresh feijoa, apple slices and honey salted pecans.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!