Hot Cheese, Bacon & Sage Smashed Root Vegetables
A colourful spin on the classic roasted smashed potatoes. These cheesy, bacony, sagey smashed root veggies are the perfect starter or side to any meal. Serve crispy and hot with a delicious saucy accompaniment.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4-6
- 8 rashers streaky bacon, cut in pieces (we love Hellers)
- 8 potatoes – boiled until tender, halved (we love Wilcox Inca Gold)
- 1 kumara – boiled until tender, quartered
- 4-5 pre-cooked baby beetroots
- 1 red onion – cut into wedges
- Handful sage (we love Superb Herb)
- Handful of grated cheddar cheese (we love Mainland)
- Extra virgin avocado oil (we love Olivado)
- Sea salt
- Heat oven to 200°C and line a flat roasting tray with parchment.
- In a fry pan over a high heat, fry off the bacon until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Spread the cooked potatoes, kumara, beetroots and red onion evenly over the baking tray. Gently press tops of each root veggie with a fork (except the onion) until they are smashed but still holding their shape. Drizzle everything with avocado oil, a sprinkling of salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes.
- Now the onions are softer, sprinkle all of the veggies with grated cheddar, bacon bits and sage. Roast for a further 15 minutes.
- Devour HOT and serve with a side of pesto