Celebrate Chinese New Year with your favourite Chinese style dish, sweet and sour pork. I use tomato sauce in this recipe for an easy and tasty adaptation.
Ingredients (Serve 4)
Lean Pork pieces 300g
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sake or dry white wine
1 small onion
½ green capsicum
6 button mushrooms
1 small potato
6 snow peas
Oil for frying (we love Olivado)
The Sweet & sour sauce:
4 tablespoons tomato sauce or ketchup
4 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoon corn flour
How to make Sweet and Sour Pork:
- Marinade pork in grated ginger and soy sauce for at least 10 minutes.
- Peel and cut potato and carrot into small pieces. Cut onion and capsicum into small pieces, cut mushrooms and snow peas into halves.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan until it reaches moderately hot. Deep fry potato and carrot pieces until cooked. This would take about 2-3 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper. Set aside.
- Pat dry pork with kitchen paper and dust with corn flour. Deep fry pork pieces until cooked and golden.
- Discard the deep frying oil leaving about a tablespoon of it in the pan. Stir fry onion, capsicum, mushroom and snow peas until just cooked through. Add deep fried potato, carrot, and pork. Stir.
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients for sweet and sour sauce. Add sauce in the frying pan (or wok) and continue stir frying until the sauce thickens.
Tip; add bamboo shoots, shiitake mushrooms, water chestnuts for more authentic dish. Serve with plain steamed rice.