Lamb Meatball Open Sandwich
These lamb meatball open sandwiches are great for a family party. Picture meatballs coated in tomato basil sauce, stacked on crispy lettuce, gherkin and cheese on a toasted piece of bread.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Makes: 16
For the meatballs
- 500g Pure South Premium Lamb Mince
- 2 tbsp Superb Herb Oregano, chopped
- Olivado Avocado Cooking oil
- 1 cup Chantal Organics Tomato Basil Passata
- ½ tsp Garlic salt
- 1 ½ cups bread crust, torn and soaked in a little milk and squeezed out excess
- 1 small Egg
- Salt & pepper
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese, quartered
- 1 cup mini Gherkins
- 1 cup Lettuce leaves
- 1 NZ avocado, sliced
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- A handful Superb Herb Basil
- Mix all the meatball ingredients well (except oil and passata) in a bowl. Form 16 meatballs.
- Heat a little oil in a large fry-pan over medium heat. Fry meatballs until done turning often for 10 minutes. Pour over the passata and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the meatballs are well coated in the sauce.
- Place a piece of cheese on top of each meatball. Turn the heat off and place a lid over the top. The steam will melt the cheese nicely, and it should only take a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make mayonnaise toasts.
- To assemble, place a piece of toast, top with avocado, lettuce, meatball, gherkin and basil.
Tip: Making meatballs takes time so double the recipe and use them in this recipe. They freeze well too so you can make them in advance and store them in an air tight container.