Crumbed schnitzels are always your family's favourite. Serve with tasty homemade cheese sauce. Yum!
- 500 g beef schnitzels
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp dried thyme or or 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
Creamy cheese sauce
- 50 g butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 50°C conventional bake.
- Beef: Place the flour, eggs and panko crumbs into separate bowls. Add the thyme to the panko crumbs and mix to combine. Season the schnitzels. Coat each one in flour, dip in the egg mixture and then coat with the panko crumb. Repeat with the other schnitzels. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to help the egg set.
- Heat 1 cm of oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. When the oil is hot, add the schnitzels a couple at a time and cook until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm in the oven until serving.
- Creamy cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the flour and garlic and cook, stirring for a few minutes until pale and frothy (not brown). Remove from the heat and slowly pour in the milk, whisking all the time to avoid lumps. Replace over a medium heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add the cheese and mustard and simmer for a few minutes until melted and smooth. Season to taste and keep warm.
- To serve: Drizzle the schnitzels with the sauce, sprinkle with chives and add a squeeze of lemon, and serve with your choice of steamed seasonal vegetables or salad.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!