Feijoas and ginger are a match made in heaven. This spicy, sweet and tangy cake is the ultimate way to showcase your feijoas this season. Serve warm with some vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of honey - YUM.
- Ice Cream
- Heat the oven to 180C. Line the base of a 20cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Peel the feijoas, chop into 1cm cubes and mix with the juice of the lemon to prevent discolouration.
- Put them into a small saucepan with the 1 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp caster sugar. Cook to soften for 10 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally so they do not burn. Stir through the chopped glace ginger. Let cool.
- Put the 100g softened butter and brown sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and beat until pale and thick.
- Beat the eggs and milk in a bowl with a fork, then add to the creamed butter mixture a little at a time.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and ground ginger and add almonds to the flour mixture.
- Fold dry mixture into the wet mixture until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the tin and smooth the top. Spoon the feijoas and any syrup over the mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and lightly firm.
- Serve hot with ice cream and a drizzle of honey
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!