Peruvian Creamy Chicken Stew – Aji De Gallina
Aji de Gallina is a popular Peruvian Creole dish, a spicy & creamy chicken stew thickened by nuts and bread.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 4
- 2 Waitoa Free Range Chicken Breast Fillets
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Olivado Avocado Cooking Oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Aji amarillo chilli paste*, or fresh chilli paste
- 4 slices of bread, crusts removed
- 50g FreshLife Californian Walnuts, lightly toasted and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup Evaporated milk
- Salt & pepper
- 4 Free Range Eggs, hard-boiled
- 1/3 cup Green olives
- Poach the chicken in the stock for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid. Shred the chicken when cool enough to handle.
- In a pot, heat the oil and sauté onion & garlic until transcurrent. Add spices and chilli paste.
- Place the bread and the reserved chicken liquid in a blender and blend until smooth. Add to the onion mix and cook over low heat stirring for 8-10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add the shredded chicken, chopped walnuts and parmesan, then continue cooking until the stew becomes thick & creamy. Just before serving, stir through evaporated milk and season.
- Serve over brown rice, garnish with boiled eggs and green olives.
*Aji Amarillo Paste is a Peruvian yellow chilli paste. Aji Amarillo Chilli has fruity flavour and milder on heat. You can substitute with fresh chilli paste if you cannot find it.