Hibiscus syrup makes a beautiful slightly tart base for a glaze (or teriyaki sauce) that can be used as a sauce for fish or meat. With a slightly fruity tangy taste, hibiscus is a spectacular accompaniment to salmon.
For the Hibiscus simple syrup
- 2 cups sugar or honey
- 2 cups hibiscus tea strongly brewed
- pinch of salt
For the sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup hibiscus syrup recipe above
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons mirin
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha sauce or chilli sauce / flakes
- In a medium-sized saucepan, over medium-high heat combine all sauce ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Allow to cook until the sauce thickens and slightly caramelizes. Approximately, 10-15 minutes. Watch carefully as you don’t want to burn the sugar. Remove from heat and serve sauce drizzled over your favourite grilled protein and a bowl of jasmine rice.
For more recipe inspiration, visit laurenlulutaylor.com.