For a gluten free treat, why not try baking this lemon cake made with cornmeal and ground almond? Or bake in a cupcake size to serve as a dessert with a tiny shot glass of Limoncello Mascarpone cream. You will love the rich and gorgeous cream with the lightness of the lemon cake.
Ingredients (for 12 cup cakes or 18cm round tin)
100g Unsalted butter
50g raw sugar
100g ground almond
100g fine cornmeal
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
Grated peel of 1 lemon (yellow part only)
Juice of 1 lemon
For Limoncello Mascarpone Cream:
2 tablespoon icing sugar
1 tablespoon Limoncello
For Maple crunch (optional, not GF):
2 tablespoons rolled oats
1 tablespoons sliced almonds
3 tablespoons maple syrup
How to make gluten free lemon cake:
- First, make limoncello mascarpone cream. In a small bowl, mix mascarpone, sugar and limoncello. Divide in shot glasses and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 160?C.
- Cream the butter with raw sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time and mix well. Add lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Combine cornmeal, ground almond and baking powder and shift it.
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites until it forms a soft peak.
- Add half of the dry ingredients in butter mixture, mix, then fold half of egg white.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and egg white. Hold it until the cake mixture becomes even.
- Pour in lined cake tin and bake in 160 C oven for 20 minutes.
- For maple crunch, Mix rolled oats, almonds and maple syrup in a small bowl. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil. Spread oats mixture on the foil. Pop in the oven under the cake for 15 minutes until the syrup becomes caramelised and golden in colour.
Serve the cake, limoncello mascarpone cream with maple crunch (if using) on a plate.