Fritters are one of the best ways to enjoy mussels and these are tasty and simple to put together. If you don't want to use smoked mussels, just very lightly cook the fresh mussels. These are great as smaller fritters for a snack or canape. Smoked snapper can be substituted for the mussels too. Serve hot with caper mayonnaise.
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 300 g hot smoked mussel meat diced ( 1kg raw weight with shells)
- 3 garlic cloves roasted if preferred
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ cup corn kernels freshly cooked or defrosted if frozen
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- ½ red chilli deseeded and diced
- vegetable oil for cooking
- In a bowl beat the eggs, milk and flour together to form a thick batter.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the vegetable oil.
- Add a little oil to a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry large spoonfuls of the mixture until golden brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other.
To cook fresh unsmoked mussels, heat a large saucepan with a lid to very hot. Add mussels and white wine, cover and shake the pan over the heat while holding the lid on. Cook until the first mussels start to open then transfer them as they open into a large high-sided tray and allow to cool. Remove from the shells when cool enough to handle and dice. Follow the method above.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!