Celebrate all things sausages with this fabulous Toad in The Hole recipe. Traditional British recipe with a modern twist!
- 12 breakfast/chipolata or 6 standard sausages
- 1 tbsp Olivado olive oil
- 140 g flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 175 ml milk
- 2 tbsp relish or chutney
- Heat oven to 200°C. Put the sausages in a 20x30cm roasting pan with the oil, then bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the batter. Tip the flour into a bowl with the salt, make a well in the middle and crack both eggs into it. Use a whisk to mix it together, then slowly add the milk, beating all the time. Leave the batter mix to stand until the sausages are nice and brown.
- Carefully remove the sausages from the oven – watch because the fat will be sizzling hot – but if it isn’t, put the roasting pan on the stove for a few mins until it is. Dollop each sausage with a small amount of relish then pour in the batter mix.
- Place the sausages back in the oven, selecting a rack closer to the top of the oven, then cook for 25-30 mins, until your Toad In The Hole is risen and golden.
- Serve with gravy and greens.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!