The Ultimate Kiwi Lamb Burger
What’s your favourite meat dish? New Zealand lamb has been named the hero of the dinner table when ranked against other family favourites by Kiwi home cooks. It also tops the list for restaurant diners too, with the majority saying that’s their pick of the protein options when eating out.
“[The lamb industry] is an industry that has arguably shaped our nation,’ says Beef & Lamb NZ CEO Rod Slater. “With that in mind, I encourage Kiwis to give a nod to the pioneers of the industry by sitting down with family and friends to enjoy a delicious lamb meal on February 15th.”
While there are any number of ways to enjoy your lamb, we at Fresh can’t go past this divine Ultimate Kiwi Lamb Burger. Once you’ve made the burgers, pile all the ingredients in the middle of the table and get the kids to make their own. It’s messy – but it’s worth it!
Ultimate Kiwi Lamb Burger
- 600g Quality Mark lean lamb mince
- ½ large onion, very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 slice wholemeal toast bread, crusts removed, soaked in 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup feta, crumbled
- ½ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4-5 burger buns, halved
- Tomato relish or sauce
- Lettuce leaves
- Tinned beetroot
- 1 red onion, very finely
- 4 eggs, fried
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup aioli or mayonnaise mixed with ½ cup finely-chopped basil
- Place all the patty ingredients in a bowl, season and combine.
- Shape into 4-5 patties, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a BBQ or frying pan to a medium heat.
- Brush the patties with a little oil and cook for a few minutes until crunchy and brown on one side.
- Turn the patties over, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for another 8-10 minutes until cooked through.