This stylish apple galette has a delicious almond flour crust base filled with delightfully nutty frangipane cream. A simply irresistible apple dessert recipe.
For the almond flour crust
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup FreshLife almond flour
- 120 g butter chilled and cubed
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg
For the apple frangipane topping
- 50 g butter softened
- ¼ cup caster sugar + some extra
- 3 eggs 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks only
- ½ tsp vanilla bean extract
- ¼ cup FreshLife almond flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 apples cored and sliced thinly
- 1 lemon juice only
- A handful Superb Herb thyme
- ⅓ cup FreshLife pistachio kernels roughly chopped
- 1 egg yolk for brushing
- vanilla bean ice cream or custard to serve with; optional
- To make the pastry: process the flour, almond flour, sugar, and butter with a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and process until the dough just comes together. Shape into a disc and cover. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Prepare the topping: Beat the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy. Add one whole egg, 2 egg yolks and vanilla. Beat until just combined. Add the almond flour and cinnamon. Mix well. Fold in chopped pistachios.
- On a sheet of baking paper, roll out the pastry to a round shape. Spread the frangipane in the centre of your pastry, leaving about 5cm of crust around the edges. Place thyme sprigs on then arrange the sliced apple on frangipane. Lift the edge of the pastry and hold it inwards, covering some of the filling. Repeat with remaining edges until you have a circular galette. Sprinkle lemon juice and extra caster sugar over the apple. Brush pastry edges with beaten egg yolk. Place the prepared galette in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
- To bake: Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bake galette for 30 minutes, or until frangipane is set.
- Serve warm sprinkled with extra pistachios and thyme with vanilla bean ice cream if you like.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Frangipane works beautifully well with tropical fruit too.