There’s nothing better than a spiced carrot cake with whipped cream cheese icing. We use macadamia oil in the batter so it’s delicious and nutritious and add chopped walnuts for texture. Yum!
- Kenwood Titanium Chef Baker XL Black
- ¾ cup self raising flour
- ¾ cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Olivado extra virgin macadamia nut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ¾ cup FreshLife Californian walnut pieces
- 2 cups grated carrot
- ½ cup FreshLife seedless raisins
- 2 Tbsp desiccated coconut
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 125 g cream cheese softened
- 50 g butter softened
- 2 ½ cups icing sugar
- Nuts and dried fruits to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Sift flours, spices and soda into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined, don’t beat.
- Grease well or line a 20-23cm cake (or ring tin 6cm deep) with baking paper. Pour cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for one hour (or until it springs back). (Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese icing.)
- Cream Cheese Icing: beat all ingredients together until you get a smooth frosting consistency. Set aside.
- Remove your carrot cake from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before peeling away baking paper if using. Turn out your cake onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Spread the top of the cake with Cream Cheese Icing. Spread over the top of the carrot cake. Decorate with chopped nuts and a collection of dried fruits. (eg. raisins, sultanas, dried cranberries, hazelnuts, walnuts or currants).
- The best way to check if your cake is cooked is to insert a skewer into the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean, take it out of the oven.
- 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts is one 70g bag of walnut pieces from the supermarket.
- 1 cup of grated carrot is one peeled, large carrot.
- We very lightly beat the eggs before adding to the mixture.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!