Everyone loves a good pie hot and steaming from the oven and you just can't beat healthy chicken, nutmeg and a creamy white sauce!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 500 g chicken cubed
- 150 g mushrooms cut into chunky pieces
- 50 g butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml chicken stock
- ¼ ground nutmeg
- white pepper to taste
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 500 g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg whisked
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Heat the oil in frying pan and fry onion and garlic until soft and onion is translucent. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the same pan and cook for two mins, add the mushrooms and continue to fry until chicken is lightly golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for about three minutes, stirring constantly until it has formed a thick smooth dough.
- Mix the milk and stock together in a jug, add nutmeg, pepper and salt.
- Slowly add to the saucepan, stirring constantly to avoid lumps forming. When a smooth sauce has formed, simmer gently until it thickens – be sure to keep stirring.
- Mix in the parsley and combine with the chicken and mushroom mixture.
- Spoon into your pie dish and set aside until completely cool.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it is large enough to cover you pie – and approx. 3 mm thick.
- Brush the edges of the pie dish with egg, lay the pastry on top, press down the edges to seal and trim excess.
- Brush the top of the pie with egg. Cut leaf shapes out of the left-over pastry to decorate the top.
- Make 2–3 slits in the top of the pie to allow the steam to escape. Place in oven to bake for 20-25 minutes or until well risen and golden-brown on top.
Share this Chicken Pie Recipe NZ wide with friends and family!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!