Try this batter recipe — adding a little white vinegar to the mix. It works wonders! You can create an incredibly light and crispy coating to your favorite seafood and vegetables.
- 1 brown onion
- 1 Sea Cuisine squid tube
For the batter:
- ½ cup flour plus extra for dusting
- ¼ cup cornflour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp DYC White Vinegar
- About 100ml cold water
- Oil for deep frying
- Serve with a dipping sauce and garnish with chopped chives.
- Slice onion and squid tube into rings about 1cm wide.
- Mix the flour, cornflour and baking powder together. Add the vinegar and slowly whisk in enough cold water to make a thick, smooth batter.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a heavy based pan to 180C.
- Deep fry onion rings in batches. Dip in the batter to coat well, then place in the hot oil. Cook until crispy and golden for 2–3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a piece of paper towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining onion rings.
- Deep fry squid rings in batches. Lightly dust with flour, then coat in batter as you fry. Cook until crispy for 5–6 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve immediately with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Vinegar is also the secret ingredient behind the perfect crispy roast potatoes.