This chocolate cake recipe is divine. It never fails, it's huge, it's moist and it's delicious. You will feed a tribe of people on this cake.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 3 ½ cups sugar
- 65 ml cider vinegar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cocoa
- 3 ½ cups water
- 2 tbsp cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup vegetable oil
For the chocolate icing
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1-2 tbsp of hot water
- Pre heat oven to 160 °C.
- Line the biggest cake tin you own with baking paper or grease with butter and pour in your cake batter. Or prepare two tins.
- In a large bowl, combine all the wet ingredients well. Sift in dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Bake for 1 hour. Best way to see if the cake is cooked is to pierce the cake after an hour with a skewer until it come out clean. Cook a little longer if not.
- Ice when the cake is cool with chocolate icing and decorate with chocolate flakes or chips.
- Put your icing sugar, cocoa and softened butter into a bowl.
- Add just enough hot water to make a firm, smooth icing.
- Decorate as you feel - silver sugar balls, 100s and 1000s, chocolate flakes etc.
This traditional icing recipe is perfect for cakes and cupcakes. Omit cocoa and add colour or/and flavourings to make varieties. This icing is also ideal the filling for yoyo biscuits.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!