Tasty miso flavoured roast beef is a lovely addition to your roast repertoire. Cook in a frypan for just under ten minutes then let the beef rest for an hour to serve as perfectly pink tender slices. I like serving this Japanese inspired roast beef dish with lightly steamed shredded cabbage or salad greens.
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
600g piece of beef suitable for roasting (sirloin, fillet etc)
150g Miso paste
3 tablespoons Sake
3 tablespoons Mirin
2 teaspoons fleshly grated root ginger
How to make Miso Roast Beef
- Mix miso, sake, mirin and ginger well.
- In a sealable bag, place the beef and miso mixture. Leave to marinade in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Take the bag out of fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Take the beef out of the bag. Scrape off all the miso mixture from surface of the beef. Set aside the Miso mixture.
- Wipe the beef with a paper towel.
- Heat a little cooking oil in a frypan on medium heat. Brown the beef all over. This takes about 3-5 minutes. Take the beef out of the pan.
- Wipe clean the frypan with kitchen towel, then put the beef back in. Mix ½ cup water to the reserved miso mixture and pour into the hot pan.
- Cook on medium heat until the miso mixture boils, then cover or put the pan’s lid on and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Flip the meat and leave for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Take out the beef and leave to rest at room temperature for at least an hour.
- Slice thinly and serve with vegetables and the miso mixture from the pan as the sauce.