That time of year. Dust off the crockpot or slow-cooker and embrace all things warm with this easy and delightfully delicious vegetable soup recipe. Slow cooked lentils and veges. Mmmm, bring on winter food!
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups dried red lentils rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 shallots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 small carrots chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 tbsp white vinegar or white wine
- Rinse the lentils and place in a slow cooker or crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients, except the tomatoes and vinegar.
- Add the water and stir well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add the tomatoes and vinegar in the last half an hour of cooking.
- Turn up the slow cooker to high for the last minutes 15 minutes, until steaming hot.
Use onion instead of shallots. Use white wine instead of vinegar. Garnish your soup with fresh herbs and/or a dash of natural yoghurt.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!