When it comes to beef brisket, nothing can beat a good spice rub and slow cooking. This tough cut is transformed into tender morsels of goodness.
For the sauce
- 1 ½ cups Chantal Organics Passata
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder or minced fresh garlic
- ¾ tsp black pepper freshly ground
For the brisket
- ¼ cup paprika
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp rock salt or more to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper or more to taste
- 1.5 kg beef brisket
- Place all of the sauce ingredients in a large slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place the spices, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Evenly coat the brisket with the spice rub and place it in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until fork-tender, for 8–10 hours.
- Transfer the brisket to a clean cutting board. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a medium heatproof bowl and set it aside.
- Remove the excess fat from the brisket and discard it. Slice or pull the meat.
- Use a spoon to skim and discard the fat from the surface of the barbecue sauce. Return the sauce to the slow cooker and stir gently to combine it with the meat. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- If you are pressed with time, follow all the steps and cook in an Instant Pot/pressure cooker for 2–2.5 hours.
- The meat will take on more flavour if you can let it marinate in the spice mix. If you have time, prepare the meat the night before, sover it and leave it in the fridge overnight. Put everything in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to a beautiful dinner.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!