This delicious Spanish inspired mixture of vegetables and rice is the perfect dish for an outside party.
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
500g paella rice
175 ml dry white wine
¼ tsp finely chopped chilli
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1-1.2 L vegetable stock
½ tsp turmeric
125g frozen peas
1 large red capsicum, deseeded and thinly sliced
6 tomatoes, quartered
4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a paella pan or large, heavy based pan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in rice until all the grains are coated and glossy.
- Add wine and let it bubble and reduce until almost disappeared.
- Stir in chilli, paprika, vegetable stock and turmeric. Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add peas and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add capsicum and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle parsley over the top, season to taste and serve.
For more great vegetable recipes see www.vegetables.co.nz