Lots of tomatoes and just want to make an easy tomato jam? Well here's your best tomato jam recipe ever. Just throw it all in a large pot and let the terrific tomatoes bubble away. This recipe makes about 8 jars to keep or give away as a lovingly handmade gift. I use this jam like a chutney with cheese boards, in salad sandwiches, as a pizza base and a cup of it in mince style casseroles. Mega lycopene lovelies!
- 1.5 kg fresh large tomatoes
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp pepperberries or peppercorns
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Sterilise 8 glass jars and lids.
- Chop your tomatoes into large chunks and put in a large pot over a low heat, no lid.
- Add sugar, mustard, vinegar and olive oil, pepperberries and stir together.
- Gently simmer for an hour or more until thick. About half way through, stir through the oregano. When thickened, season as desired with salt and pepper, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Seal in airtight jars, label and keep in the fridge to use as required or to give away as handmade gifts. This is just like a chunky tomato sauce, chutney style.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!