My late Aunty Meg gave me this Green Tomato Pickle recipe many years ago and I have been in love with it ever since. It`s delicious and quite easy.
- 2 kg green tomatoes
- 5 onions
- ½ cup salt
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 cup sugar
- 1 large tin pineapple pieces
- ¾ c flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Vinegar enough to cover the tomatoes and onions when cooking
- Cut up your green tomatoes, add chopped onions, and sprinkle both with salt.
- Let tomato and onion mix stand for two hours, stirring a few times.
- Pour off liquid and cover with vinegar.
- Boil until tender.
- Drain pineapple pieces and retain the juice.
- Add pineapple, golden syrup, and sugar to tomatoes and boil another 10 mins.
- Thicken with flour and spices mixed together with pineapple juice. Simmer until pickle thickens.
- Bottle. Enjoy with cold meats, sandwiches and cheese and crackers.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!