We think everybody should be able to enjoy freshly baked hot cross buns, so we’ve created a vegan and gluten free recipe. Enjoy.
- 2 cups FreshLife Buckwheat Flour
- ½ tsp Mixed spice
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 3 tbsp Gluten free baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups FreshLife Ground Almonds
- 3 tbsp FreshLife Ground LSA & Chia
- ½ cup Olivado Extra Virgin Sweet Almond Oil plus extra for basting
- ⅓ cup Chantal Organics Apple Syrup
- 1 cup Sanitarium So Good Almond Milk Unsweetened
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest grated
- 1 cup FreshLife Seedless Raisins
- ½ cup Whittaker’s 72% Cocoa Dark Ghana Chocolate
- Coconut Cream whipped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift buckwheat flour, mixed spice cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in ground almonds. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix chia seeds, oil, apple syrup, coconut milk and lemon zest together. Stir well then pour into the dry mix. Stir together then fold in raisins. Let the mix sit for 10 minutes so the chia seeds can swell.
- Use two spoons or an ice cream scoop to scoop buns onto the baking tray, leaving space for the buns to rise. Use the handle of a spoon to mark the tops of the bun with a cross. Brush with extra almond milk onto buns and bake for 35-45 minutes, until cooked. Let cool slightly.
- Melt the dark chocolate and pour into a piping bag. Pipe chocolate crosses onto the buns.
- To serve(optional): Serve with whipped coconut cream. Whipped coconut cream - pop in a can of Coconut Cream in the freezer for 3 hours. Spoon out the thick white cream on top to a bowl. Add some icing sugar (optional) and beat with a hand held beater until the cream is fluffy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!