Superb Slow Cooked Bolar Roast Recipe
When you’re in a rush, a roast or crockpot is always easiest for family dinners. Slow cooking makes for a fuss-free family meal that’s ready by 5pm when your troops scoot in the door hungry and exhausted. Here is a superb Bolar Roast Beef recipe.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 6-8 hours Serves: 8
- 2kg bolar roast beef
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (we love Olivado)
- 1 ½ cups red wine (we love Church Road, McDonald Series Merlot)
- 1 bay leaf (we love Superb Herb)
- 1 tsp black pepper, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 250g bag of beta bites carrots, cut in pieces (we love Wilcox)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (we love Meadow Mushrooms)
For the gravy
- 1 tbsp flour (we love Chantal Organics)
- ¼ cup red white (we love Church Road McDonald Series Merlot)
- Pat the meat dry then brown in the oil in a heavy fry pan.
- Combine the browned beef, wine, onion, carrots, mushrooms, bay leaf, pepper and garlic, in your slow cooker or crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Thicken meat juices after cooking for a great gravy: a tablespoon of flour or cornflour mixed to a paste with a little extra wine.
- Serve with creamy mashed potato, minted peas and gravy.
NZ Guild of Foodwriter’s Jan Bilton has advice on roasting the less tender cuts of beef such as bolar, rolled rib, topside and perhaps prime rib: Place in a roasting pan. Baste lean meats often with butter or oil. Roast, 180 degrees C for 30 minutes per 500g. Season with salt, pepper and mustard.