Sticky, spicy and delicious, this airfried Korean style BBQ chicken is fantastic with a salad, in wraps or piled over rice, drizzled with the honey infused sauce.
- 1 piece of aluminium foil lightly oiled
For the marinade and sauce
- 2 spring onions chopped
- a bunch coriander roughly chopped
- sesame seeds lightly toasted
- Make the marinade: in a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients except honey. Pour 1/2 the marinade into a small bowl. Add the honey to the remaining half to make a sauce and set aside.
- Butterfly chicken: Place the whole chicken on a board breast-side down with the legs facing you. Using kitchen scissors, cut along either side of the backbone and remove it. Open the chicken, then turn over. Push down the breastbone with your hands to flatten.
- Place the chicken on a plate and brush all over with marinade. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight. Reserve remaining marinade.
- Place the chicken in the airfryer basket, brush chicken liberally with marinade and place in the fryer. Spray or brush the second piece of foil with oil and place loosely over the chicken completely covering it. Cook at 180 for 25 minutes. Open airfryer once or twice during cooking to add more marinade, and cook for a further 20-25 minutes (Internal temperature should reach 170) removing the foil for the final 5 minutes or longer if you like a bit of char.
- Serve chicken on a platter, scattered with spring onions, coriander & sesame seeds and the reserved honey enriched sauce.
Korean BBQ chicken will char during cooking due to the delicious sugars and seasonings caramelising. If you want to avoid this, cook the chicken breast side down for the first 25 minutes, covered with foil then flip breast side up and continue cooking, covered until the final few minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!