Tasty Chicken Curry Recipe
Who doesn’t love an authentic chicken curry? We certainly do and we hope you like our recipe as much as we do. Curry in a hurry? Yes please!
- 30g coconut threads, toasted
- 3 star anise
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 jar of your favourite curry paste (we love Valcom yellow)
- 750g potatoes, peeled and diced (we love Wilcox Vivaldi Gold)
- 2kg Waitoa free range chicken, diced
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 300ml water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white parts only
- 20 curry leaves, fresh or dried
- 50g palm sugar, plus extra to season
- 800ml coconut cream
- Lime juice
- Fresh herbs and peanuts to garnish
- Toast thread coconut, put aside.
- Wrap star anise, ginger piece and cloves in muslin cloth or hessian and tie up with string.
- Set aside.
- Par boil your potatoes.
- Heat curry paste over a low-medium heat in a fry pan for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add diced chicken to curry paste and cook a further a few minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, water, cinnamon sticks, lemongrass, curry leaves and the spices you’ve wrapped in the cloth.
- Bring the curry to a boil, then drop to a simmer
- Simmer until chicken is almost cooked through, add potato, cook a further few minutes.
- Add palm sugar and coconut cream.
- Season and balance with salt, more palm sugar and lime juice.
- To serve sprinkle with toasted coconut threads and chopped salted peanuts and any fresh herbs as desired.
- Serve with Nasi Lemak, roasted peanuts, deep fried anchovies, cucumber, boiled eggs and mango chutney.
- Serve with rice and your favourite Mango Chutney
- Serve with rice, roti or naan bread