Here is a gorgeous Golden Glazed Ham recipe to whet your appetite for the mid winter Christmas season. Golden glazed ham is mouth-wateringly delicious and just right for NZ's love of good food. Glazed Ham is so famous in USA, it's got its own Day: 15th April. This ham recipe is simple with just four ingredients!
- ½ ham leg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup marmalade
- ½ cup Grand Marnier liqueur or Cointreau
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Remove skin from ham being careful to LEAVE the layer of fat.
- Score ham with a sharp knife through fat without cutting into meat. I use lines because I prefer the look. Most people score in a criss-cross pattern creating a diamond shape which results in little pieces of crispy glaze. I like big long strips of crispy glaze.
- I never use cloves because I hate biting into a clove unexpectedly but most people stud the ham with cloves.
- Place ham in a baking dish lined with parchment paper. This makes cleaning up easier.
- Paint ham with a third of the glaze.
- Place ham in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and paint a second coating of glaze over ham.
- Bake again for 20 minutes.
- Remove ham and paint with the remaining glaze.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Turn oven off and let ham sit in oven until ready to serve.
If you start baking the ham two hours before you sit down to your Mid Winter Feast, Christmas or Easter lunch, it is the perfect temperature when you are ready to eat. Buy a half leg of ham is my rule, as a full leg of ham just seems to be too much for the family suffering a week of ham toasties, ham sandwiches, ham salad, ham pizza, ham panini, ham stuffed potatoes, ham icecream... In summer or at Christmas time, this wonderful Golden Glazed Ham is ideal served warm from the oven with gourmet mustards, a festive and colourful potato salad, green salad, Watties beetroot and a Pavlova to finish (see our perfect pav recipe!)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!