Follow our tricks and tips to make the perfect poached egg. Serve on avocado toast with fresh rocket and tomato for the ultimate brunch.
- For perfect poached eggs: make sure your eggs are really fresh. Fresh eggs have a thicker white near the yolk that will better hold a round shape as it cooks. You can tell how fresh an egg is by putting it in a glass of water; if it lies horizontally at the bottom, it is very fresh; if it starts to float or stand on end it is less fresh. If your egg isn’t so fresh, crack it into a small bowl and drain off the runnier white.
- Crack your egg into a bowl or onto a saucer, this makes it easier to slide into the pan. If there is any very runny white surrounding the thicker white then tip this away.
- Bring a pan of water filled at least 5 cm deep to a simmer. Add a drop of vinegar. Don't add any salt as this may break up the egg white.
- Stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool to help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
- Slowly tip the egg into the centre. Make sure the heat is low enough not to throw the egg around – there should only be small bubbles rising.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the white is set.
- Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain it on a paper towel. Trim off any scraggly white bits.
- Scoop and slice the avocado.
- Prepare your toast: butter toasted bread, place on rocket leaves, sliced tomatoes and avocado.
- Slide the poached egg from the paper towel onto the prepared avocado toast. Season with salt and pepper, then enjoy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!