Apricots go really well with chicken, adding a kind of sweet and sour flavour. This is one of my quick go-to dinners — it uses ingredients you usually have in the pantry and is quick and easy. It freezes and reheats well too, handy for those nights where you can’t be bothered cooking but still want something nourishing.
- 1 tbsp Olivado extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Waitoa free-range chicken whole bird cut into pieces
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp Chantal Organics tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 can Chantal Organics chopped tomatoes
- 400 g apricot halves 1 can drained
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp Superb Herb fresh thyme chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and brown chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. Set chicken aside.
- Drizzle a little more oil into the same pan and fry onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add back the chicken, along with the tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce, herbs, tomatoes, apricots, water and chicken stock. Roughly break up the apricots with a wooden spoon.
- Stir all ingredients together and partially cover with a lid.
- Simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice, couscous or mash, and greens. Sprinkle fresh thyme on top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!