Rose adds the most intoxicating smell and flavor to any harissa, the floral overtones help soften the chili and give it a romantic floral allure. Rose harissa tastes wonderful on just about everything from roasted veggies and eggs to meat and cheese.
Here is a simple one-bowl quick rose harissa. If you want to cheat, you can also add some dried rose petals and a little rose water to any supermarket harissa you have on hand.
- 1 Tablespoon dried rose petals
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds ground in a spice grinder
- 1 Tablespoon pure chile powder such as ancho or ground dried chillies of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon rose water
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- Pinch of sea salt to taste
- In a mortar and pestle or spice grinder place dried rose petals and caraway seeds and grind them into a powder. Add remaining ingredients and mix together until a paste-like sauce forms. Harissa can be stored in a jar in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
For more recipe inspiration, visit laurenlulutaylor.com.