Life doesn't get any better than a Sunday roast meal with the family, then using the leftovers during the week for sandwiches. This is a perfectly easy Rump Roast recipe for the crockpot or slowcooker.
- slow cooker
- Pressure cooker
- 1 900 g rump roast at room temperature
- 3 garlic cloves or 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground rock salt
- 4-6 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 fennel bulb fronds removed, saved and chopped for garnish when serving
- 1 sprig each of Superb Herb rosemary and mint or whatever fresh/dried herbs you have on hand or like
- 1 onion or leek
- 1 carrot peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups water
- Turn your slow-cooker onto high.
- With a sharp knife, make a few slits in the meat and place a halved garlic clove in each (or rub in the garlic powder).
- Season with salt.
- Chuck your vegetables and herbs into the slow cooker and add the water.
- Add the rump, place the lid on the slow-cooker, turn the heat setting back to Low and cook for 3 hours, or on medium for 4-5 hours.
- If you're around as it cooks, baste the juices over the rump.
- Serve with steamed winter greens and creamy mashed spud, the chopped fennel fronds, plus a reduction of the juices from the slow cooker pan (Take 1/2 cup of the juices, add a splash of red wine or ruby red and bring to the boil in a small frypan, simmer a few minutes until thickened, add a dash of cream and season).
Rump Roast tip: always take your meat out of the fridge well before you are going to cook it, so it gets to room temperature. Resting post cooking is always favorable.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!