The lean and tender venison medallion barbecued and served with a very special red wine & chocolate sauce. The quality dark chocolate adds a deep, velvety richness to the already tasty red wine sauce.
- Salt and pepper
- 6 New Zealand farm raised venison medallions
- 1 tbsp butter
- Make the sauce/ In a saucepan, fry the bacon, shallots, garlic, herbs and peppercorns until the shallots are translucent. Deglaze the pan with red wine and boil until reduced.
- Add stock, reduce the temperature to a medium low heat and simmer until reduced by half, approximately 30 minutes.
- Pass through a sieve and add finely grated chocolate. Whisk gently.
- Barbecue venison/ Take the venison out of the fridge to come to the room temperature. Preheat the barbeque to high.
- Oil and season the venison medallion. Sear the meat until brown all over.
- Wrap the meat with a knob of butter in foil and place on the barbecue rack for 8 minutes.
- Leave to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Slice meat and serve with your favourite sides drizzled with the red wine & chocolate sauce.
Tip: Make sure the sauce doesn’t boil when adding the chocolate or it might curdle.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!