When it comes to Kiwi classics, cheese rolls are right up there with your pavlova and fairy bread. We've compiled our 3 favourite filling ideas for you to try. Tell us which one you like best or what other combos you recommend!
Cheesy cheese rolls
- 1 ½ cups tasty cheese grated
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 loaf fresh bread sandwich sliced, crusts removed
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Put all the filling ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer. Remove from heat when boiling.
- Cool slightly then spread over white bread, roll up, then bake in a medium oven for 10-15 minutes.
Onion soup mix cheese rolls
- 32 g or 1 packet of onion soup mix
- 400 g or 1 tin of evaporated milk
- 500 g grated tasty cheese
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 loaf fresh white bread crusts removed
- ¼ tsp salt or more to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper or more to taste
- 50 g butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Put soup mix and evaporated milk in a saucepan.
- Add grated cheese and mustard powder and heat slowly to a simmer, stirring until thick and smooth.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly and then spread over the slices of bread.
- Roll up then place on a lined baking tray. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 180 oven for 10-15 minutes and serve hot.
- You can prepare the filling in advance, cool it and store in a jar in the fridge. Use it within a week.
- These soup mix cheese rolls are a perfect after school snack and best of all, the kids can help make them too!
Chopped onion cheese rolls
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup full fat milk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup tasty cheese grated
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 loaf fresh bread sandwich sliced
- Preheat your oven at 180C.
- Add the onion to the milk in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Mix the corn flour with a little milk until it forms a smooth cream. Add to the pot.
- Add butter and stir in cheese till it melts. Season. Remove from the heat.
- Spread over your white bread, roll up, then bake in a medium oven for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
What are Cheese Rolls? We like to call them Southland Sushi. A cheese roll is a thin slice of white bread sprinkled with grated cheese and a little onion, rolled up and grilled – that’s the classic Kiwi snack that has been found in cafés from Southland to Marlborough for decades.
Top Fresh tips:
- Leave the crusts if you prefer.
- You can freeze these – free flow – then pull them out as needed and grill. No need to thaw, as they come out soft and crunchy after grilling, and so easy as a quick snack or at supper.
- To give your kids an extra nutrition boost, make these Cheese Rolls using a nice wheat or grain option.