Yes, doughnuts work in an air fryer! Soft and fluffy doughnuts filled with a classic flavour combo, this recipe is a keeper!
- Tefal Easy Fry, Grill & Steam XXL Air Fryer
For the doughnut
- 1 cup milk warmed to about 43C
- 2 ½ tsp active dry yeast or instant yeast
- ¼ cup sugar plus 1 tsp
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 3 cups plain flour
- oil spray
- ½ cup caster sugar
For the filling
- Jam of your choice
- Tatua Dairy Whip
- In a stand mixer bowl (fitted with the dough hook), combine the warm milk, 1 tsp of sugar, and the yeast. Leave for about 5-10 minutes, until foamy.
- Add remaining sugar, salt, and egg to the yeast mixture. Whisk to combine then mix in the butter and 2 cups of flour on low speed.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then mix in remaining flour. The dough should start to pull away from the sides of the bowl, but still be sticky (add up to ¼ cup flour more if needed). Increase speed to medium-low and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic, but still sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover and leave to rise until doubled (about 30 minutes if using instant yeast).
- Punch down dough and turn out on a lightly floured surface. Gently roll out dough until 1 cm thick.
- Cut circles into the dough about 7cm in diameter and place them on parchment paper to further rise (about 30 minutes).
- Spray air fryer basket with oil, place 4-5 doughnuts inside and spray the tops with oil.
- Cook in the pre-heated air fryer set at 175°C for 3 minutes, turn over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Take doughnuts out of the air fryer and coat in sugar. If the sugar isn’t sticking to the doughnuts, lightly spray or brush the doughnuts in oil.
- Let them cool before piping in some jam then whipped cream. Enjoy straight away!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!