Try making fresh rice noodles from scratch. It’s a little fiddly but the result is satisfying and well worth the effort.
Prep time: 25min (plus resting time 30 min)
Cook time: 40min
Make: approx. 300g
1 cup FreshLife Gluten free rice flour
2 tbsp corn flour or tapioca starch
1 cup water
1/3 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vegetable oil
Square or rectangular heatproof container / cake tin
- Mix rice flour, corn flour, water and salt until smooth. Add oil. Sieve through a fine-mesh strainer,then cover and rest for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pan (with lid) of water to boil. The pan needs to be large enough for the container to comfortably sit in the boiling water. Brush oil on bottom of the container, then place in the large pan of boiling water.
- Pour a ladle full of the rice liquid into the container. Tilt the container, so the rice liquid covers the bottom making a thin layer. Place a lid on the large pan and let it steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the container and let cool slightly. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the cooked rice noodle sheet and lift out to an oiled tray. Brush top of the sheet with oil lightly.
- Repeat the cooking process several times* until you use up all the rice liquid.
- Slice the sheets into noodle strips. Use straightaway in salad or store in the fridge up to 2 days**.
Tip: * depending on the size of the container. We made 7 sheets using 14 X10 cm rectangle metal lunchbox.
**Stored noodles become hard in fridge, so best to use them in stir-fry or soup. Heating makes the noodles soft again.
These homemade noodles are the perfect base for our Venison steak salad.