Elevate the Kiwi classic onion dip to the next level with caramelised onion and Crème Fraîche to create a truly flavourful dip that no one can resist. Best enjoyed with good quality crackers.
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a cast iron or other heavy-bottomed frying pan, add onions, a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, until onions are golden and limp– about 15-20 min.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and cook for another 5 min. Make sure you keep an eye on the onions so they don't catch on the pan and burn. Set aside to cool.
- Set aside a heaped teaspoon of caramelised onions and 1 teaspoon chives to garnish.
- Place remaining cooked onion and rest of ingredients in a food processor with a pinch of sea salt and blitz to combine. Spoon into a bowl, cover and chill for at least 20 min.
- To serve, top with reserved onion and chopped chives.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
If you’re short on time, there’s nothing wrong with our national classic!