Focaccia is a satisfying dish to make. Ours is topped with caramelised onion, bacon, and loads of fresh herbs. Make this when entertaining friends or family – they’ll thank you for it.
- 400 g high grade flour plus extra for kneading and dusting
- 100 g semolina
- 1 sachet dried yeast instant
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 2 tsp flakey sea salt
- 300 ml tepid water
- Olivado extra virgin olive oil
- To prepare the dough, sift flour into a large bowl. Add the semolina. Make a well in the centre then add yeast, honey and warm water to the middle and mix. Leave for a few minutes, add the salt, then knead lightly for 5 minutes on a floured work surface.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, drizzle with olive oil, cover, and leave in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Add the bacon and red onions to a large nonstick pan and fry for 10 minutes, until the onion just starts to caramelise. Add the thyme and sage, fry for an extra minute, then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a deep tray with baking paper.
- Briefly knead the dough, then roll out to fit the baking tray. Transfer the dough, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and leave to proof (rise) for another 20 minutes.
- Once proofed, make fun indents with your fingertips. Scatter bacon topping on and spear in rosemary sprigs.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until gorgeously golden. Serve warm with olive oil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!