Yes, you’ve read that right. a vegan chocolate pie made from avocados! Both the pastry and the filling feature healthy and creamy avocados.
avocado pastry crust
- 200 g mashed NZ Avocado approx. flesh from 2 medium sized avocados
- 350 g self-raising flour plus extra for flouring the bench
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ice cold water as needed
- Pinch of salt
- For the avocado pastry: Add mashed avocado to a large bowl with flour, cocoa and salt. Add maple syrup, then cold water, a tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead well. Wrap in clingfilm and rest for 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Grease and line a 26cm pie dish. Roll out pastry, then lift in and press down. Prick pastry with a fork all over, cover the bottom with a piece of baking paper and place pastry weights. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the weights and paper, then return to the oven. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Let the pastry case cool completely.
- Make the filling: Place all ingredients except coconut cream in a blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth. Add the top half of the can of chilled coconut cream (this half is thicker after refrigeration) and blend until smooth.
- Fill the avocado chocolate filling in the prepared pie dish. Sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
If chocolate is not your thing (yes, not everyone likes chocolate!), try this lighter avocado and lime combo.