When the cooler weather brings a harvest of citrus and the lemon tree at home is chock full of juicy, yellow fruit, make yourself some beautiful homemade Lemon Honey.
- 50 g butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup lemon juice about 4-5 lemons
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Melt the butter in a microwave, in the top of a double boiler or in a small heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Add sugar and lemon juice, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add beaten eggs and lemon zest. Place the mixture over boiling water and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens (about 15 minutes).
- Pour into hot, clean, dry jars. Cover with preserve covers or the lid of the jar.
- Keep in the fridge, Lemon Honey will keep for a month.
Lemon Honey (some people call it lemon curd ) is perfect on crackers, pikelets, pancakes, fresh bread or toast. Also a wonderful addition to antipasto platters. A true Kiwiana treat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!